As a self-publishing author, you have complete control over your work and its promotion. While there are many things you can do to increase your book’s visibility and attract readers, there are also some common mistakes that you should avoid. Here are some things NOT to do as a self-publishing author:
- Neglecting to edit and proofread: Neglecting to edit and proofread your book can make it difficult for readers to engage with your content. Poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation can make your book look unprofessional, which can negatively impact sales.
- Choosing a poor book cover: Your book cover is the first thing readers see, so it’s important to choose one that’s eye-catching and professionally designed. A poorly designed cover can turn readers away before they even read the blurb.
- Failing to target your audience: Understanding your target audience is essential for marketing your book effectively. Failing to do so can make it difficult to reach the readers who would be most interested in your work.
- Neglecting marketing: Simply publishing your book isn’t enough; you need to actively promote it. Neglecting to market your book can make it difficult to attract readers, even if your content is great.
- Pricing your book too high: Pricing your book too high can make it difficult to attract readers, especially if you’re a new author. It’s important to price your book competitively to ensure that it’s accessible to a wide audience.
- Ignoring reader feedback: Ignoring reader feedback can make it difficult to improve your work and create a loyal fan base. It’s important to take feedback seriously and use it to improve your writing.
- Copying others: Copying others’ work or ideas is never acceptable, and can lead to legal trouble. It’s important to create original content and ideas to avoid plagiarism.
- Rushing the writing process: Rushing the writing process can result in poor quality work that doesn’t resonate with readers. Take your time to ensure that your work is the best it can be.
- Neglecting the importance of book formatting: Proper book formatting is essential for creating a professional-looking book. Neglecting formatting can make it difficult for readers to engage with your content.
- Engaging in unethical behavior: Engaging in unethical behaviour such as using bots to inflate sales, can harm your reputation and lead to legal trouble. It’s important to maintain integrity in all aspects of your self-publishing journey.
In conclusion, there are several things NOT to do as a self-publishing author. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can increase your chances of success and create a loyal fan base. Remember to take your time, invest in quality, and stay true to your values.
For more information and support in writing and publishing a non-fiction book, check out my 5* Rated bestselling book “Your Story Starts Here”